what to like/dislike about the new X-Class? - Mercedes X-Class Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

what to like/dislike about the new X-Class?

As a new Mercedes pickup that's not entirely a Mercedes, the X-Class has a bunch of areas to address but others it does well in. This can also vary depending on who you ask (experience, bias, perspective, etc.) so I thought we could use this thread to sum up the X-Class. With a mix of feedback from journalist, owners and the like I think this thread will get quite interesting, especially when coming from real owners.

Like:
  • powerful engine
  • all the Mercedes design language we love
  • its a Mercedes pickup!

Dislike
  • you sense its Nissan-ness
  • unrefined ride
  • its priced like a Mercedes
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:47 AM

Limiting it to just Europe is an odd choice as well, though a NA variant would need a proper petrol engine. Yes there are a lot of borrowed components from the Navara, but there are quite a few unique changes that have been made to the platform. A wider track, beefier suspension and chassis, and a more powerful engine just to mention a few.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
Limiting it to just Europe is an odd choice as well, though a NA variant would need a proper petrol engine. Yes there are a lot of borrowed components from the Navara, but there are quite a few unique changes that have been made to the platform. A wider track, beefier suspension and chassis, and a more powerful engine just to mention a few.
I think it has to do with competition and how Mercedes is perceived, making it harder to sell state side. Even established brands like Toyota had a hard time making changes as to not mess with a good recipe. Then you have Ford that's pushing hard on the Ranger, not knowing if it could be a flop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:19 AM

Partnering with a more well known pickup brand might be the best way for Mercedes to enter the NA market. There are already talks that Ford and VW might be doing exactly that to bring something like the Amarok stateside.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

No one knows what agreements Nissan and Mercedes has.

However, Nissan is preparing to launch some new mid-size pickup and my guess is Mercedes will like to use that platform as well. My own concern is how well Mercedes adapts it and what we have right now to their brand.

Done right, no one will care its a Nissan underneath.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:23 AM
ETC

FCA might be buying Nissan's parent company. If that happens we might see a RAM-based Mercedes X-Class for the second generation if it still isn't a benz from the ground up.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETC View Post
FCA might be buying Nissan's parent company. If that happens we might see a RAM-based Mercedes X-Class for the second generation if it still isn't a benz from the ground up.
I'll believe it when it actually happens.
However there are lots of mutually beneficial things to come from it... Consolidation of resources for cheaper production being the biggest.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:41 PM
ETC

Do you guys think if this deal goes through we might eventually see some brands get chopped? It might help to reduce overhead.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

@ETC ... if sales decline or they decide that further consolidating efforts can help profitability then yes. I just can't see how that's possible now or years into the future.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:14 PM
ETC

I guess it is tough to say so early in the process.
A primary outcome from this partnership should ultimately be strong products. The X-Class needs to be one of them and IMO its not nearly where it could.
Being more Mercedes and less Nissan would go a long way. Something tells me this partnership will stall that process.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes X-Class Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page