BMW- don't expect an X Class competitor - Mercedes X-Class Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Reuben

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

BMW- don't expect an X Class competitor

BMW has recently gone on record to state that they currently have no plans to develop a pickup. While the company recognizes that dual cabs are extremely popular, they don't feel like they could deliver one at a price point that see high volume sales. Klaus Frolich, a board member of BMW's development team said the following.
Quote:
“If you look at the pickup truck market, there is a focus on medium price points, in Germany anyway. At the higher end, the sales are very low.”

“To do a proper pickup, you need a ladder frame platform, and a monocoque platform is compromised,” Frolich said.

“I have only two architectures and we do not get a proper pick-up truck out of it. I also think that it’s never profitable, the premium end of the market is very small in trucks.”
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 02:06 PM

With initial sales of the X Class being fairly low, I don't see why BMW would bother producing a rival in the first place. I do think Mercedes would be seeing more interest if it didn't share so much in common with the Navara. Hopefully we see less shared underpinnings in the future.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Can you imagine what this truck would cost if they had to engineer it from scratch? That's probably the exactly reason why they decided to pull from the Navara for the first gen model to begin with. I personally feel like there is plenty that differentiates the two.
Sudaf likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 01:28 PM

excessive free cash flow sometimes gives them the chance to experience with special models, for Mercedes this all came down to cheap testing of a product.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes X-Class Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page