Mercedes X-Class Forum

Mercedes X-Class Forum (https://www.xclassforums.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes-Benz X-Class General Discussion (https://www.xclassforums.com/forum/106-mercedes-benz-x-class-general-discussion/)
-   -   Mercedes X-Class to be killed off? (https://www.xclassforums.com/forum/106-mercedes-benz-x-class-general-discussion/1552-mercedes-x-class-killed-off.html)

mmkay 07-16-2019 10:56 AM

Mercedes X-Class to be killed off?
 
Some depressing news from Automotive News Europe, it looks like Mercedes will discontinue the X-Class as a cost saving measure and as a result of recalls.

According to the article:

Quote:

The Mercedes-Benz X-class pickup is to be dropped as the brand's parent company, Daimler, seeks to reduce costs amid profit warnings, according to sources at the automaker.

Mercedes launched the model in 2017, aiming to give its light commercial vehicles division a more diversified sales footprint by entering the booming global segment of midsize pickups.

But only 16,700 units of the X class were sold last year in Europe, Australia and South Africa. The U.S., where demand is mainly for full-size pickups, was ruled out as a market.

Right from the start, the X class was unable to live up to expectations. Its price, starting at 37,294 euros in Germany, was too high. Competition is fierce in its segment, in which VW Amarok and Ford Ranger also compete.

Several recalls also hit sales, among other things because of a footwell light that can come loose and jam under the brake pedal.

As part of Daimler's industrial cooperation with Renault-Nissan, the X class uses the same platform as the Nissan Navara and Renault Alaskan with a conventional ladder-type frame. It is built at Nissan's factory in Barcelona, Spain.

In February, former Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche abandoned plans to build the pickup for South American markets at a Renault-Nissan plant in Argentina.

Earlier this month, Daimler cut its profit forecast for the fourth time in 13 months, as it set aside more money to cover a regulatory crackdown on diesel emissions and vehicle recalls related to Takata airbags.

benzventure 07-25-2019 06:41 PM

I had a feeling this would happen. The other option is to launch an SUT version of an existing SUV but I wouldn't want an SUT of either one!

mmkay 07-29-2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benzventure (Post 9690)
I had a feeling this would happen. The other option is to launch an SUT version of an existing SUV but I wouldn't want an SUT of either one!

I agree I think a SUT version of one of their SUVs wouldbe a mistake. The best route would be for Mercedes to create its own platform, but that would cost an incredible amount of money to do.

benzventure 08-09-2019 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmkay (Post 9694)
I agree I think a SUT version of one of their SUVs wouldbe a mistake. The best route would be for Mercedes to create its own platform, but that would cost an incredible amount of money to do.

A luxurious pickup that shares a platform with the G-Class might work. Only downside is it would be priced higher but done right as a purist MB.

mmkay 08-17-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benzventure (Post 9706)
A luxurious pickup that shares a platform with the G-Class might work. Only downside is it would be priced higher but done right as a purist MB.

I didin't even consider that, but I think that could work as a proper full size pickup truck with G-Class performance. They could keep the boxy style too, kind of like what Jeep did with the Gladiator.

benzventure 08-25-2019 11:33 PM

For all we know it might be what Mercedes has planned with the new G-Class lineup.
What do you think the chances are it will happen?

mmkay 09-01-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benzventure (Post 9716)
For all we know it might be what Mercedes has planned with the new G-Class lineup.
What do you think the chances are it will happen?

As much as I'd like to see it, I'm not holding my breath for it. But I'm happy to be proven wrong by Mercedes.

benzventure 09-06-2019 07:38 PM

Mercedes has no excuse not to do it.
A lot of components can be used from other Mercedes utility vehicles helping to cut down on cost.

mmkay 09-15-2019 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benzventure (Post 9720)
Mercedes has no excuse not to do it.
A lot of components can be used from other Mercedes utility vehicles helping to cut down on cost.

Very true, but you never know how their executives are going to think when it comes to stuff like this.

ETC 09-17-2019 07:32 PM

I'm starting to think that selling the X-Class in the U.S. might have been necessary.

I mean, the mid-size segment is taking off, so much that some automakers are returning and others preparing for a bigger fight.

Ford is one of them that's returning.

MB execs must be kicking themselves!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.