Mercedes X-Class Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMW has recently gone on record to state that they currently have no plans to develop a pickup. While the company recognizes that dual cabs are extremely popular, they don't feel like they could deliver one at a price point that see high volume sales. Klaus Frolich, a board member of BMW's development team said the following.
"If you look at the pickup truck market, there is a focus on medium price points, in Germany anyway. At the higher end, the sales are very low."

"To do a proper pickup, you need a ladder frame platform, and a monocoque platform is compromised," Frolich said.

"I have only two architectures and we do not get a proper pick-up truck out of it. I also think that it's never profitable, the premium end of the market is very small in trucks."

·
Registered
69 Posts
With initial sales of the X Class being fairly low, I don't see why BMW would bother producing a rival in the first place. I do think Mercedes would be seeing more interest if it didn't share so much in common with the Navara. Hopefully we see less shared underpinnings in the future.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you imagine what this truck would cost if they had to engineer it from scratch? That's probably the exactly reason why they decided to pull from the Navara for the first gen model to begin with. I personally feel like there is plenty that differentiates the two.

·
Registered
227 Posts
excessive free cash flow sometimes gives them the chance to experience with special models, for Mercedes this all came down to cheap testing of a product.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.